Go Carnarvon Bananas for this Caramelised Trifle Recipe this Christmas
- 600ml fresh cream, for whipping
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1.5kg of Carnarvon Sweeter lunchbox bananas
- Caster sugar- as needed for caramelising
- 1 pack of biscuits
For the banana custard;
- 1 packet sachet custard powder
- 4 tbsp banana powder or freeze dried banana powder
- Cold water
For the salted caramel;
- 120g Bannister Downs double cream
- 200g granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp Cheeky Cow butter
- generous sprinkle of salt
Shop the Recipe
Prepare salted caramel sauce:
- Prepare the salted caramel sauce by adding sugar to high heat and continually stir until it resembles amber colour and begins to melt and smooth.
- Immediately remove from the heat and stir in butter until combined.
- Add in heavy cream, salt and mix until smooth. Pour caramel into a heavy glass jar and refrigerate until completely cool.
Prepare whipped cream
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and then add icing sugar. If you are preparing the trifle beforehand, you can add corn starch to stabilise the cream, or it will begin to soften over time.
Prepare banana custard- follow instructions on package as required and set in the fridge.
- Slice bananas into rounds or angled rounds. Slice 2-4 bananas longways and reserve for the top of the trifle.
- Layer biscuits, custard, cream, bananas and salted caramel liberally in a trifle dish.
Prepare this right before serving as fresh bananas will brown if left overnight.
- Coat the bananas liberally in white sugar- make sure to cover the entire surface as any missed spots will burn.
- Use a cooking blowtorch to caramelise the top surface of the banana until sugar is amber and hardened.
Layering the Trifle
Layer biscuits, cream, banana custard, caramel and bananas liberally and place the sugared bananas on top. Enjoy!