Save Your Time with This Cheat Kimchi Fried Rice
Quick & Easy
This 'cheat kimchi fried rice' uses DCF nitrate free diced bacon, pasture raised eggs, and Spoonful of Goodness kimchi kraut available from our website, for an asian inspired quick and easy dinner. The crunchiness of the kraut inspired kimchi adds a nice burst of texture to a fried rice style dish.
Fried Rice Tips
There are some key tips to getting a delicious fried rice- once you find out, you can add just about anything and harness the delightful classic in new ways.
- Use day old rice - a rare occasion where utilising left overs creates a better char, flavour and texture. Freshly steamed or cooked rice is always too wet to create the fluffy and chewy texture in a fried rice. Using it can add too much water and impedes the cooking process of all the other ingredients. If you don't have leftover rice, let your fresh rice sit and release the steam over time before frying.
- Order of Ingredients - as a general rule of thumb, you want everything to cook out in synergy. This means that the order you're adding ingredients to the pan is important to the final taste and texture. You don't want veggies to become overcooked and soggy before the meat is cooked through.
- Soy sauce matters - in this recipe, we're adding some dark soy sauce to balance the salt and acidity of the other ingredients. Dark soy sauce is much more aromatic and sweeter, there are so many kinds that can impart different flavours onto your stir fry.
Inspired by the Korean Classic
The Spoonful of Goodness team hand make their best selling kimchi style kraut using wild fermentation. Their take on the Korean classic is crunchy, sour, mildly spicy, but with a lovely ginger kick. Hand made with wombok when it is available or regular white cabbage at other times of the year. It is their best seller and it is addictive, you have been warned!
Made fresh using Dirty Clean Food regenerative meat, and local Friends of DCF products.
- Rice or grains of choice (for 2)
- 100g pork diced bacon or mince
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 2 Runnymede pasture raised eggs
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 4-6 tbsp kimchi kraut
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar or mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 30g shredded cheese (optional)
Shop the Recipe
Heat a large pan on low with some oil, and gently sauté onion until soft, and add the minced garlic.
Add the diced bacon and cook through, stirring occasionally. Add half of the spring onion and minced ginger and continue to stir fry.
Add the rice to the pan and stir.Turn on a higher heat. Drizzle the dark soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, mirin, sesame oil and add some salt to taste.
Stir in the kimchi kraut. Sprinkle cheese on top and place in the oven to broil for 5 minutes for a crisp melty texture.
On a clean pan place oil and crack your eggs for a fried egg. You can do both eggs depending on your pan size. Cover the pan with a lid to help the heat cook through. Take off the heat when the egg whites are no longer translucent.
Spoon the kraut rice in a heaping pile on your plate. Top with the egg and spring onion and enjoy immediately for the best taste!