Lemon, Lavender and Honey Chicken
Poulet Au Citron Et Lavande (or Lemon and Lavender Chicken to the non-French speaking!) is a delicious aromatic chicken dish by Rachel Khoo. Teamed with Southampton Homestead succulent chicken and Bidjaronning Raw Honey, it is sure to become a favourite recipe in your repertoire!
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Resting time: 30 minutes - 4 hours.
Cooking time: 45 minutes.
1 Southampton Homestead Whole Chicken, jointed into 8-10 pieces or use your favourite pieces of chicken
A generous pinch of salt
For the marinade:
2 tbsp dried lavender
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp Bidjaronning honey
2 sprigs of thyme
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- To make the marinade, crush the lavender using either a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin. Put the crushed lavender into a large bowl with the oil, honey, thyme, lemon zest and juice. Mix well.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large plastic container. Pour the marinade over the chicken and make sure all the pieces are well coated. Cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours).
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the chicken and marinade into a roasting tin and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, turning the pieces over halfway. To check if the chicken is done, pierce the thickest part of the flesh with a skewer - the juices should run clear, not red or pink.
- Serve the chicken with the cooking juices poured over and around. A crisp green salad or your favourite vegetables and some boiled new potatoes are a great match.
From The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo