Pasta Sauce with Leftover Vegetables
Do you have vegetables left over from your veggie box and not sure what to do with them? Here's an easy recipe for a pasta sauce that can be frozen for last minute meals once the kids are back at school.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 -2 carrots, diced
- 1 red or green capsicum, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- Broccoli (small florets)
- 2 tins whole tomatoes
- 1 onion (brown, red or spring), quartered or sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- Dried Italian herbs or use fresh oregano and basil
- 1tbs sugar
- salt and cracked pepper
Change any of the vegetables above based on what is in the fridge - pumpkin, beans, peas, spinach, kohlrabi.....you get the idea :) Just make sure you keep the tinned tomatoes - they are a staple.
- In a deep pan, put the oil and bring to high heat. Place all the vegetables, garlic and pepper into pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and the tinned tomatoes the tomatoes.
- Place lid on pan and turn heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add sauce to a blender and blend to liking.
- Serve with pasta or use as a pizza sauce. Keeps for up to 5 days in the fridge or freeze in portions for a quick and easy meal.