- "These farmers are our heroes, the souls of the earth and it shows in their produce. The flavour from the meat is exceptional and we have had nothing but rave reviews since moving to Dirty Clean Food." Tony Howell, Executive Chef
Flank Steak with Chimichurri
As we all know, Short Order Burger Co are renowned for their ridiculously good burgers made for serious burger lovers. However, we asked Egan, Kitchen Manager of Short Order Burger Co to share with us one of his favourite recipes he prepares at home, other than of course Short Order Burgers!
Flank is the underdog of beef cuts, it’s lean, juicy and of course tasty. You can use it in a plethora of dishes from all over the world. Being one of the most versatile cuts, it can be used for tacos, salads, whole steaks or sliced, even the hero of a stir-fry. What more do you need me to say? Get some!
This is my recipe for beef flank steak with chimichurri. Have it with any sides you like, I chose beans but it would go well with anything.
My semi-pro tips to have you cooking any steak like a pro.
I have placed these handy tips here so that you can take your protein cooking to the next level! Perhaps. Use a heavy based frying pan, preferably cast iron.
- Bring your meat up to room temperature - you’ll get a more even cook and a way better crust on the outside
- Pat dry with paper towels - season your meat once dry. Again by doing this you will be upping your game, watch that crust come up Millhouse
- Get your pan SMOKING HOT - Seriously!! You want the pan to be super-duper hot before placing in your meat. Place it in gently so you don’t burn yourself
- The Press - press down on your piece of meat to maximise the surface area when searing, use a egg flipper-type spatula
- Turn off the heat - before it is ready, baste it with a decent amount of butter
- REST your meat - this allows all of the juices to settle and for the meat to relax after cooking
FLANK STEAK INGREDIENTS
- 2 packs Dirty Clean Food 100% grass fed flank steak (800g)
- salt and pepper or spice rub
- vegetable oil for cooking
- 60g butter for basting
Use my handy hints above to cook your steak. Flank steak should take about 4 minutes on each side to come up to medium rare.
Chimichurri is an extremely versatile sauce, it’s so fresh and zingy and packs a punch from the garlic and lemon juice. It's the perfect sauce for steak and sausages, try it on a steak sandwich paired with mayo for a new twist on an old fave. When chopped by hand, the sauce is silky and voluptuous and more fragrant as well. That being said, if pressed for time, you can place all of the ingredients in a blender and whizz up to a pesto like consistency.
- 1 bunch parsley-washed/dried
- 1 pack oregano-washed/dried
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli (deseeded)i-add more if that excites you
- 1 lemon-juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
Finely chop parsley, oregano, garlic chilli and place into a small bowl for mixing
Add remaining ingredients into the bowl and give it a good stir through
- Check the seasoning and you’re all done!